Hi all,
I recently discovered that I had been convicted of failing to identify a driver (MS90) without knowing anything about the proceedings. I've submitted a statutory declaration application and am waiting to hear back, but I'm quite anxious about what happens next and would appreciate some advice.
The timeline is as follows:
- 6 May 2025: My vehicle was allegedly recorded doing 24 mph in a 20 mph limit.
- 9 May 2025: Police reportedly sent a NIP and Section 172 request, which I never received.
- 10 June 2025: Date of the alleged failure to identify the driver offence.
- October 2025: Proceedings were commenced for both speeding and failing to identify the driver. The court paperwork was sent to an old address, so I never received it.
- 11 December 2025: I was convicted of the MS90 offence and received six points and a financial penalty.
- 18 September 2026: I discovered the conviction for the first time when £1,044 was deducted from my salary through an attachment of earnings order.
I had moved address before the alleged offences and had updated my driving licence, but unfortunately hadn't updated my V5C. I accept that this was my mistake, although I genuinely received none of the correspondence and had no idea there was a prosecution or conviction until the money was taken from my wages.
On 18 September, the same day I found out, I submitted the HMCTS online application to make a statutory declaration and reopen the case. I provided tenancy agreements showing when I moved and have been told to wait for HMCTS to contact me.
What I'm really looking for is advice on what is likely to happen next.Assuming the statutory declaration is accepted, will I then have to attend court again to deal with the original speeding and Section 172 charges?
Is that normally dealt with at the same hearing or at a later date?
If I was the driver, would it be sensible to offer to plead guilty to the original speeding offence in exchange for the Section 172 charge being withdrawn?
How would I actually go about doing that in court? Would I speak to the prosecutor beforehand, or explain the situation directly to the magistrates?
I'm also wondering whether my failure to update the V5C is likely to cause problems, despite genuinely not receiving any correspondence.
Is there anything I should be doing now while waiting for HMCTS?
I've never been through anything like this before, so any practical advice about what to expect at court and how to approach it would be greatly appreciated.