I have received a County Court Claim Form relating to an unpaid £150 Companies House late filing penalty and would really appreciate some advice on what I should do next.
The company accounts were sent to my accountant before the filing deadline. The accountant submitted them before the deadline, but there was apparently an issue with the accounting software which meant the accounts did not reach Companies House in time.
My accountant told me that the software company had accepted liability and had submitted an appeal against the penalty. I subsequently received several notices from Companies House requesting payment of the £150 penalty. My accountant advised me not to pay because the software company would cover the penalty if the appeal was ultimately rejected.
I then received a letter from BW Legal stating that they had been instructed by Companies House and requesting payment of the £150, otherwise legal proceedings would be commenced. My accountant advised me to contact BW Legal and tell them that the penalty was under appeal and awaiting a decision, but unfortunately I failed to do this at the time.
I have now received a County Court Claim Form. The issue date is 24 July 2026.
I was abroad from 12 July until 5 August and therefore did not see the claim until I returned. The claim form states that I have 14 days to respond from the date of service. I understand there are deemed service rules for claims sent by post, but I am now concerned that the deadline may already have passed.
I have not yet contacted Companies House, BW Legal or the court, and I have not made any payment. I have also not yet been able to speak to my accountant because it is the weekend, so I don't currently know the outcome or current status of the software company's appeal.
My main questions are:
1. Do I need to respond to the County Court Claim immediately, even though the penalty is/was under appeal?
2. Should I file an Acknowledgment of Service now, even if I am still waiting for my accountant to confirm the appeal status?
3. Could a CCJ already have been entered, or would there have to be a judgment first?
4. Given that I was abroad and did not receive the claim until 5 August, is there anything I can do if the response deadline has already passed?
5. Should I contact the court, Companies House and/or BW Legal first thing tomorrow, or should I wait until I have spoken to my accountant?
6. Can I wait until I have spoken to my accountant tomorrow, or do I need to file an Acknowledgment of Service today?
I appreciate that I may need professional legal advice, but I would be grateful for any guidance on the immediate steps I should take to avoid making the situation worse.